Known as the “tree of life,” Arborvitae (Thuja occidentalis) is majestic in size and abundant in unique benefits. It is an evergreen coniferous tree in the cypress family.
Arborvitae essential oil is concentrated in tropolones, such as hinokitiol (a monoterpinoid), which are a group of chemical compounds that protect against environmental and seasonal threats and have powerful purifying properties. These compounds also contribute to Arborvitae’s natural insect repellent properties. Thujic acid, another tropolone found in Arborvitae, has been studied for its ability to protect against common threats in the environment.
Native to Canada, all parts of the Arborvitae tree were used extensively by Native Americans for health benefits (including the treatment of scurvy) and for building vessels, totem poles, baskets, and clothing. Because of its natural preserving properties, Arborvitae prevents wood from rotting, which makes it popular in woodcraft and for preserving natural wood surfaces.
Scientific Research on the Benefits of Arborvitae Essential Oil
What does the scientific research say about the benefits of Arvorvitae?
Well, I can’t say specifically. The FDA won’t let me because they don’t regulate essential oils. So, if you’d like to learn about the research, you have two choices:
- Contact me now and I’ll tell you all about it personally. It’s free, you have no obligation, and I promise–no…I guarantee–it will be worth your time.
- Go this government website and search. You can use phrases like “Arborvitae essential oil“. It’s quite simple and you’ll find some very interesting information.
- Add a few drops to a spray bottle with water and spray on surfaces or hands to protect against environmental threats.
- Apply to wrists and ankles while hiking.
- Diffuse to purify the air and to repel insects inside the home.
- Mix 4 drops of Arborvitae essential oil and 2 drops of Lemon essential oil for a natural wood preservative and polish.
- Use during meditation for a sense of peace and calm.
Directions for Use
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the best essential oil diffuser of your choice.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area.
Plant Part: Wood
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Aromatic Description: Woody, warm, earthy
Main Chemical Components: Methyl thujate, methyl myrtenate, α-terpineol