Cypress essential oil (Cupressus sempervirens) is obtained from the needle-bearing tree of coniferous and deciduous regions. The cypress tree is an evergreen, with small, rounded and woody cones. It has scalelike leaves and tiny flowers.
Cupressus sempervirens is a species of cypress native to the eastern Mediterranean region, in northeast Libya, southern Albania, southern coastal Croatia (Dalmatia), southern Greece, southern Turkey, Cyprus, northern Egypt, western Syria, Lebanon, Israel, Malta, Italy, western Jordan, and also a disjunct population in Iran.
The benefits of Cypress oil come from the fact that the vast majority of the oil is made of Monoterpenes (read this article for why Monoterpenes are important conributors to the health benefits of essential oils). This high Monoterpene content makes it beneficial for oily skin conditions.
Cypress oil has a fresh, clean aroma that’s energizing and refreshing. It’s frequently used in spas and by massage therapists. Cypress can be diffused or inhaled directly, but should not be swallowed or taken internally. It has a grounding, yet stimulating effect on the emotions, making it a popular oil to diffuse during times of transition or loss.
Please note that the FDA does not regulate essential oils. This means that I cannot make any specific claims about or imply that essential oils cure or should be used to treat any diseases or other health conditions. I am not doing that by providing this information.
All information is pulled from reputable sources and studies. Links are provided so that you can make an educated and informed decision as a responsible adult.
Scientific Research on the Benefits of Cypress Essential Oil
- Cypress essential oil contains compounds that show “high antioxidant activity” and can help the body dispose of excess toxins and inhibit free radical scavenging.
- Prior to a long run, apply to feet and legs for an energizing boost.
- Apply two to three drops to chest before gardening to promote vitality and energy.
- Diffuse with Lime essential oil for an invigorating scent.
- Mix together Cypress and Grapefruit essential oil with Fractionated Coconut Oil for an invigorating massage.
- Add one to two drops to toner to help improve the appearance of oily skin.
Directions for Use
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the best diffuser of your choice.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area.
Plant Part: Leaf
Extraction Method: Steam distillation
Aromatic Description: Clean, fresh, woody, herbaceous
Main Chemical Components: α-pinene, carene, limonene