Known for its distinctive aroma and taste, Lime essential oil provides cleansing benefits when taken internally or used topically–making it the perfect oil for purifying skin, the air, and surfaces.
The essential oil of lime is extracted by cold compression of fresh lime peels or by steam distillation of its dried peels. The scientific name of the lime tree is Citrus Aurantifolia (also known as “key lime”). This evergreen tree is short and bushy, growing between 6 and 13 feet high (much smaller than orange or grapefruit trees), and has dark green leaves, white blossoms, and green oval fruits.
Lime essential oil is refreshing and energizing in both aroma and taste. Limes are frequently used in entrées and beverages for their fresh, citrus flavor. It has been extensively used in the food and beverage industry, as well as in making fragrances. This versatile citrus oil is also added to household cleaners, detergents, soaps, and other beauty products.
Due to its high limonene content, Lime provides internal cleansing benefits and can be diffused to help purify the air. It’s also an effective and natural surface cleaner. Lime is known for its ability to uplift, balance, and energize. Lime is frequently used in facial and body cleansers for its purifying properties and uplifting scent.
Its rich vitamin C content also makes it an ideal immune system booster, helping protect you from colds and flu.
Lime essential oil blends well with Clary Sage, Rosemary, and Lavender essential oils as well as other citrus oils. Depending on your uses for this oil, substitutes may include Lemon or Wild Orange essential oils.
Scientific Research on the Benefits of Lime Essential Oil
What does the scientific research say about the benefits of Lime?
Well, I can’t say specifically. The FDA won’t let me because they don’t regulate essential oils. So, if you’d like to learn about the research, you have two choices:
- Contact me now and I’ll tell you all about it personally. It’s free, you have no obligation, and I promise–no…I guarantee–it will be worth your time.
- Go this government website and search. You can use phrases like “lime essential oil“. It’s quite simple and you’ll find some very interesting information.
- Diffuse to cleanse the air and lift your mood.
- Put some Lime on a cotton pad and use to help remove grease spots and sticker residue.
- Add a drop of Lime to your drinking water for enhanced flavor.
- Add 1 drop to your facial cleanser or shampoo for added cleansing properties.
Directions for Use
- Diffusion: Use three to four drops in the best essential oil diffuser of your choice.
- Internal use: Dilute one drop in 4 fl. oz. of liquid.
- Topical use: Apply one to two drops to desired area.
- Supports healthy immune function
- Positively affects mood with stimulating and refreshing properties
- Used as an aromatic, topical, and internal cleanser
- Promotes emotional balance and well-being
Aromatic Description: Citrus, tart, sweet
Collection Method: Cold Pressed/Expression
Plant Part: Lime rind (peel)
Main Constituents: Limonene, β-pinene, γ-terpinene